Oral Testimony of MUPENZI Odette


Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Mark Video Segment:
[Hide] Copy and paste this link to an email or instant message:
[Hide] Right click this link and add to bookmarks:


Title:Oral Testimony of MUPENZI Odette
Sequence:1 of 3
Abstract:The oral testimony of MUPENZI Odette, a survivor of the Genocide Against the Tutsi, recorded by the Kigali Genocide Memorial in Kigali, Rwanda. The testimony discusses on her misfortune during the Genocide, particularly the bodily injuries, the struggle for surviving Genocide and the life of treatment after the Genocide. The testimony is given in Kinyarwanda, with translations available in English and French.
Publisher:Kigali Genocide Memorial
Rights:Kigali Genocide Memorial
Subject Headings: Genocide--Rwanda--History--20th centu
Tutsi (African people)--Interviews
Tutsi (African people)--Crimes against--Rwanda
Rwanda--Ethnic Relations--History--20th Century
Rwanda--History--Civil War, 1994--Atrocities
Creator: MUPENZI Odette; Kigali Genocide Memorial
Formats: mini-DV tape

Continues with Part 2 of the Oral History Testimony of MUPENZI Odette.

Dock windowView English Translation
Q : Could you please tell us about yourself?
MUPENZI : My name is Mupenzi Odette; I live in Rwezamenyo in Nyakabanda cell, in Nyamirambo. I am one of the victims of the genocide, which took place in April 1994 here in Rwanda. Habyarimana died; we heard it in the radio news in the morning. They said that people are not supposed to move from their homes so, we stayed at home, but after a few hours we started hearing our neighbors crying as they were being beaten. We lived near a seminary school called Josephite.
We used a ladder and climbed to get in the compound of Josephite Seminary School because it was just near our house. They welcomed us and we stayed there with them for one night. In the morning we heard gunshots outside, and then some handicapped people were brought in the seminary school. Later they came to attack us too, at first they knocked but the religious brothers refused to open for them so, they climbed up the gate and entered saying, “ there are Inyenzi (cockroaches) in this school.” We were hiding in one of the classrooms, but my brothers were outside because the strong men and boys were told to go outside and guard.
My dad was also inside the classroom. They knocked but we refused to open the door. They said, “You have a choice to open the door, if not we shall destroy it.” Then my father advised us to hide under mattresses because, people used to say that when you hide under a mattress, you cannot be shot. From where I was hiding, I could see two soldiers and some of our neighbors who were Interahamwe. The neighbors were the ones ordering my father to open the door.
The fact is he was the only man in the room, so he opened the door. As soon as he opened it, they grabbed him and started to hack him with machetes. I was under the mattress but I had heard a glass breaking because I was close to the window my head folded in the mattress. But due to panic, I had not heard the gun firings that were outside, so as I rose my head, it collided with bullets, unfortunately a soldier saw me and showered me with more bullets.
I was shot and terribly injured here, beneath this piece of cloth (showing her jaws), on one of my arms and my chest. So, I lay down feeling very weak. Other people who were with us were praying, but they suddenly kept quiet, later I found out that they kept quiet because they were shot dead. And finally those Interahamwe entered, they started checking under the mattresses and all round there. I was breathing heavily but trying not to make any noise but still they saw me. This time they used a machete and hacked me; even at the moment, my head has got several scars. I lost consciousness and got into a coma, I cannot tell what followed there but all I know is that when I gained consciousness deep in the night, I found myself with dead bodies. In the morning there come one of those religious brothers. He lit a torch towards me, and then they put us back on the mattresses. They left and came back with people to apply medicine on us. And then, we spent the night and the next day there.
The Interahamwe could have been back but they thought we were all dead. Those who were injured but still could walk, went and hid further, but my case was different from theirs, I couldn’t move my body. Three days later, the Red Cross came. When they killed my dad, my mum acted bravely and went to take the soldier’s gun, the same soldier pushed her and immediately Interahamwe started hacking her with machetes, they hacked her until when she got into a coma.
Three days later, Red Cross came and took us to C.H.K [Centre Hospitalier de Kigali] with their cars. But on our way, when we reached Gitega, the Interahamwe stopped us saying: “Tutsi, tutsi…” but I looked like a dead body, me and the other wounded people I was with were in a very bad state. In fact, we were the last ones to be taken; due to the way we were injured; they wanted to leave us because it seemed like, though they were taking us, we wouldn’t survive. But we heard that the Interahamwe took the first group of people to be taken by the Red Cross by force and killed them. So, the Interahamwe got mad with the Red Cross staff: “We are killing Inyenzi (cockroaches) and you are taking them to hospital” They accused the Red Cross.
They opened the way for us and we arrived at CHK. We found the doctors there but they couldn’t help me because I was terribly injured. They called a specialist but he didn’t come that night yet my wounds had started rotting, Margot were moving inside the wounds on my chest. Luckily, they were not in my mouth, because there is acid in the saliva. I had also seen worms moving from the wounds under my armpit. And then, the next day they took me in the surgical room, washed my wounds, nursed them and covered it.
We felt safer at the hospital. Then the next day soldiers came and said, “ We are killing Inyenzi (cockroaches) and you are healing them!” They ordered us to go out; the doctors told us that they had no choice and we had to leave. Fortunately there was a nurse who was my relative (she was my uncle’s wife). She used to nurse me twice a day, as I was outside where they put us (I had a scary wound). Some people reported her that there is some Inyenzi that Jane (her name) is looking after. So she stopped coming. Then our wounds started to stink we were in a tent, running water passing through the tent; it was a rainy season. They had stopped doctors from treating us saying that; “you don’t have to treat those cockroaches.”
Now the wounds terribly stank! There were some soldiers who had taken refuge in CHK from Kanombe. So, they started accusing us… both the Interahahwe and Inkotanyi groups were shooting towards where we were hiding. So, those soldiers started saying that it’s because of the Inyenzi (meaning us) who were among them and that the cockroaches [us] are revealing them. Then every night they were taking people out of our group. But no one had ever bothered to look at me because I already looked dead; my face had swollen, so I never got problems with that. But my young sister whom they had shot her arm was once taken and fortunately she met a doctor we knew and because that doctor was a soldier, he ordered them to let that kid go and sleep so we kept on surviving that way. The C.H.K hospital shifted because it was fired all the time; Doctors left first. Among our doctors, they are those who were giving out patients to perpetrators, because they are some of the doctors who used to come and look at someone and the following day, you’d never see the patient again. So, they (doctors) left us there in the hospital. By God’s will, we saw cars coming to us. They were coming to take patients who were seriously sick.
I was seriously sick to an extent of a Hutu doctor feeling sorry for me. He put me in a car and took me to a place where fellow patients were, after all we were not in hospital instead we were in the hospital’s compound. So we left but before we reached Gitarama just ahead of a place called ‘igiti cyinyoni’ we saw the Interahamwe, they stopped our car and looked for the Tutsi in that car. I had no problem with them; I had a swollen face. So they couldn’t waste time on me. But there was a boy they almost took but the driver (the doctor) was a Hutu so, he pleaded for him and finally they let us go as we had come [the entire group].
When we reached in KABGAYI, they laid us outside at the balcony. There was no one to look after us. But my big sister was studying in Kabgayi as a nurse. Therefore I started thinking, since the war began while she is there maybe I would see her. So I kind of felt life come back to me. At the same time I would think that maybe she died… in the morning people came and took off covers, I heard them say “she died” because I was even starving; I was dying of hunger because I could not eat, food could not reach my mouth. One of my eyes could see so, when I heard a student coming, I tried to see and luckily my sister was among them. She passed by me but I could not talk. However I pulled her dress (nurse uniform). She looked at me but could not recognize me, she tried to identify who I was… she did not do anything else but went and locked herself in a room and cried heavily. A doctor, who was there, saw her coming while crying and he asked, “Why is this one crying?” Her classmates answered, “While we were passing out there, we saw a patient pulling her. We don’t know what happened next.” Therefore, they came back and asked me, I told them that she is my big sister. They had to be so attentive because my voice couldn’t come out very well but they managed to hear that she is my sister. The students took me in the house from outside. When they looked at me, they found out that I was almost dying. They looked for a vein where to pass the drip but they couldn’t find one. My veins had sunk deeply in my skin. They really failed to get something to do with me. I was about to pass away. So, they decided to use a syringe; in fact that is what I used for drinking; there were some volunteers who used to bring tea for patients in C.H.K. so, they would use a syringe to feed me. However, I could swallow a little and the rest would pour off because my mouth was open wide before they had operated me. The doctor asked the nurses to continue giving me the drip via the mouth that maybe the veins may be visible again with time. The doctor said that I was totally dehydrated as the reason to why my vein could not be found. Therefore, the nurses continued to give me that drip. And later they called my sister and asked her to wash me. (All the time we were there we had never been washed). They undressed my wounds because the dressings had turned greenish but whichever piece of cloth they would put on my wounds would turn green; (there were terrible microbes in my wounds). Then my sister said that I was almost getting Tetanus. So, I spent the whole day drinking that water and by the next day, my veins started coming up.The nurses came back and again looked for the veins, they pierced me on several places looking for one but lucky enough, there was an experienced doctor who finally found one on my leg.
They put the drip on my leg and added several antibiotics and other many medications. My sister took very good care of me, while the others were stinking out there on the veranda. No one had time for them because in Kabgayi there were many patients. There were Interahamwe soldiers in the hospital, so they said that there were the ones that should first be treated, they [nurses and doctors] never minded about the rest. In fact the hospital was running out of medicine… my sister continued to look after me, they took me to the one of the wards where there were other patients, I slept there, they treated me but two days later, the Interahamwe attacked us. They [perpetrators] fought a lot and the shootings could reach us.
The Kabgayi hospital was near the Red Cross, my sister and her classmates who were training to become nurses used stretchers to take me to the Red Cross. It was not far from the hospital, so they passed through the shootings and went to Red Cross. We found there several other patients.I didn’t get any other problem except the sickness. My sister continued to work for the Red Cross and she really took care of me. Time came when they told the Red Cross to leave the place because the war was becoming really bad. The Red Cross organized a convoy that took us to the Nyanza prison as that is where they got free space.
So they let us stay in that prison (patients from the red cross). The Red Cross treated us well, I even had my sister around … maybe it was God’s plan because if she weren’t there, I would have stayed in Kabgayi like the others who stayed there at the balcony, in the shootings; I would have died of starvation. But my sister helped me a lot, I never got any other problems apart from the pain in my body; she used to bring me milk and the doctors used to visit me. Generally, I never had a problem besides the problem of sickness; they had shot me here on the jaws, all the bones were crashed from the inside. Therefore, I was feeling a lot of pain yet there was no specialized doctor to help me. It was my sister who used to dress my wounds every morning and evening and that was all. There was no radio, nothing… All I could do was just sleep.
However they had medicine to clean wounds so I never worried much except the pain I bore. At the Red Cross, they used to feed me on milk mixed with biscuits and pass the mixture in a syringe to feed me because I couldn’t eat. So, you can imagine passing biscuits in a syringe; it was hard. I couldn’t wake up it was too painful. But my sister was always around me; she could feed me that mixture although much of it would pour, she would keep on giving it to me, until I was able to sit. I could sit and feel strong so I didn’t feel terribly hungry anymore. I got used to the biscuits and milk mixture; I had forgotten all about food. I lived with the Red Cross during all the period of war and we were safe there. We were hospitalized together with the Interahamwe who had been injured while they were carrying bullets for the soldiers. But they wouldn’t cause any harm because they would come when they were in bad condition.
Nyanza had already been captured by RPF troops so they told us to shift because the place was laid with lots of land mines and there are some things they want to do there. So, the Red Cross took us to Ririma in an orphanage where the orphans had fled abroad. We stayed there the whole month of June. In July the Red Cross said the war had ended. They [Red Cross staff] told the patients who were able to cripple to find a way somewhere, they said they had helped them [the patients] and it was time they left and tried to find a living. But they [Red Cross staff] said they are going to go with the extremely sick or injured patients. I was among the seriously injured patients. They took us to King Fayçal hospital.I was with my sister but we didn’t know any news about our family. I had left my mum in C.H.K with my young sister and the rest in the seminary school. No one knew any news about our family.
My sister asked for a room in King Fayçal hospital and she got it, she could work and at the same time she could take care of me. I found there a Belgian doctor who took me to the theatre where he operated me. He removed all the fragments, which had remained in my wound. My wounds had failed to cure due to the dirt that was hiding in the fragments. He anesthetized me and then carried on an operation. I was again admitted. There was a certain lady who went to the same school with my sister; she had some guardians in Switzerland who were supporting her. Her guardians wrote to her that they wanted to visit Rwanda with the purpose of learning what took place in Rwanda. So, she told my sister that if they come she would ask them to visit both of us (her and I). “Maybe they may help her because they are helping me a lot as well”, she said to her. This lady was only living with her mother and they were very poor. The white guardians paid her school fees and settled most of her family problems. Therefore when the white couple came, the lady brought them to see me. My sister uncovered me and showed them how I was; I had wounds that had not cured for all those months. They saw it and said in their countries they operate such injuries; “it is a matter of visiting a surgeon and after the surgery, one gets back to normal.”
They took my pictures and all medical prescriptions, which included all information of how I was treated before. By then it was in August when they came at King Fayçal, they asked me to wait for some time. I waited until November when they sent someone who worked with them but based here in Rwanda. He came looking for a patient called Odette “who saw shot on a part hidden beneath a piece of clothe”, he described me. When he saw me he asked me: “Are you Odette?” he came along with my photo and he tried to show them to me for verification and I told him it was I. He called my older sister, because I couldn’t speak well. So, they talked together and he told her that, the group in Geneva had sent him to look for me and to make sure that I get immigration papers as soon as possible, so that I could join them in Geneva where they would organize for my operation. So he told me he would be back in the morning so that we could go for the Passport. He told me that I shouldn’t worry that he would come for me and take me there, that they weren’t going to delay us if they saw me. In the morning he came for me and as he had promised. At the migration’s office they immediately signed for me and the same happened for the VISA due to the state I was in. Then he told me that I have to leave and I left on the 30th of September if not in November.
Q : ?
MUPENZI : [Uh: yes] in 1994…
Q : ?
Therefore, they sent somebody to escort me to Geneva. We met at Kanombe Airport [the Rwanda International Airport]. The first man who traced m [at the hospital] remained behind in Rwanda, because he was working in Rwanda; he just called me so that he could take me to the airport because he realized that I could not make it alone. Therefore, I went with the white man who had come for me. They had given me a drip and he fed me with it all the way. Whenever they could bring tea, I couldn’t take it. I could only take that water using the syringe; that white man helped me all the way. When we reached his home, we found sentinels who had come to welcome me. They told me I had to go to the hospital as soon as possible.
They took me to the hospital. When the doctors saw me, they immediately took my x-ray photographs. They told the Rwandans who took me there that my case was hopeless, that they weren’t sure how long I was going to survive. Because I had even been shot on the nose, which had developed an infection. I had a terrible infection whereby I had water in my ears and in my forehead. The doctors showed the x-ray photographs to the people who had brought me and said, “Look, there is water in her forehead. We are so shocked by the fact that she is still alive. She is dehydrated and anemic. We wonder why she is still alive.” So they said, “we are going to try since we’re doctors but if she dies, don’t ever blame us. She doesn’t have any chances of living.” So, I rested a bit there in the hospital and the following day, the doctors rushed me in the surgical ward and started operating me. They removed the liquid in my head but I was unconscious, I never had a thing. When I gained consciousness, my nose was hurting and they had put some gauze inside of it.
Mupenzi : Some Rwandan lady used to visit me. Her name was Therese and she was a student at some university in Geneva. I asked her; “What did the doctors do to my nose?” She told me that I shouldn’t worry, that they are doctors and they must know what they were doing. The following day, they took me back to the surgical ward. They did the same thing. This time I got annoyed with the doctors. I couldn’t understand what they were doing to me. But people continued to calm me down saying, “They are doctors. They know what they are doing.” It went on for three days. By then I was no longer feeling pain; I felt pain at first, until when my body got use to pain and it stopped feeling it. My body was as dead; I could not feel anything, my whole body was numb. Then I used to spend so much time sleeping. I could sleep and wake up at mid-day and sleep again. I could hardly wake up.
Doctors said, “It is as though she was dead. Check the way she sleeps all the time.” I used to sleep like a newborn baby. They again said, “She would have died in her sleep and people would have thought she died of the terrible wound on her jaws, yet she would have died of the infection in her head.” After they removed the liquid in my head I felt fine. The doctors said that, since they have removed everything and nothing strange happened, then nothing would to me. That I would be okay. That is when the Rwandan people who used to visit me came and told me how they had been afraid of telling me the truth because the doctor had warned them not do so. But there was a Burundian lady who was as well in the Geneva hospital for an operation; she used to chat with me in the hospital. She lived in Burundi. She is the one who told me everything in detail.Therefore, I stayed in the hospital, and the sentinels kept visiting me and they used to give me everything I wanted. I never had any problem.
Mupenzi : So, I stayed in the hospital. After some time they said that, it was not good to stay in the hospital, they wanted to… by then, it was towards christmas time. They wanted to let me enjoy the Christmas feasts out of the hospital. But when they removed the gauze, I started feeling terrible pain; this bone here [she pointed] was crushed from the inside and by then, it had never been operated, all the time I used to get a pain killer injection for the bone. Therefore the doctors said that I have to go to France. There was a Rwandan lady who used to go to France for holidays but apparently she was in Geneva. Then I asked them, “if I go to France, how would I be getting that injection [pain killer] I used to get in my mouth? They replied that, they would give that lady my medicines. Well, they gave her some tablets, which I first used and stopped because it wouldn’t improve on anything.
Mupenzi :Therefore, I left for France. After one day, that lady started giving me that medicine. The more I could feel pain, the more I could ask her for more tablets and indeed she gave them to me. Finally I took an overdose. I cannot explain how I felt, but my heart almost stopped functioning and all of a sudden, I was unconscious. Immediately she called in Geneva and they asked he to take me back. She took me back in a terrible condition and from then I lived in the Geneva hospital for the rest of the time. After some time they, they operated me and removed other fragments, which were still in the jaw. The bone was not there, there were just pieces of bones. They got my other bone from here and put it here [part of the jaw bone], and then they positioned the new jawbone with a metal piece. They left that metal for some time to hold the bone. Later they got some flesh from here and put it here because it was hollow. I never felt normal due to several bullets that were in my body. Normally in the mouth it is supposed to be this way, but me it is like this. [She shows].
Mupenzi : Doctors tried to put nails in my mouth so that my mouth can get back to its normal position; I mean the bones gaining their original position. But after a while, the same nails could bring me another pain. I was living in the hospital and well enough, abroad when one needs a doctor, he or she just rings a bell and the doctor comes running with medicine to calm down the pain. That’s the life I lived. The nails were supposed to stay in my mouth for three months but the pain was unbearable; So, they called a doctor. I told him that it was giving me a terrible pain but he advised me to patiently tolerate the pain, that the nails were part of the medicine and that as days pass, the pain would disappear. I stayed there at the hospital with the pain. After sometime, the pain started reducing and I reached the point of taking tablets [I had improved]. Every night… I was taken to some family where I found people of my age. So, every night I would go for an injection, which could enable me to sleep. I could spend the whole day taking tablets and at night I would go for an injection.
Mupenzi : But those whites people kept on looking after me. They used to get me soft foods, which could pass through the syringe because I couldn’t chew. They took good care of me and the sentinels also used to visit me there. I continued going to the hospital even after I moved in with that family. The doctors called me back for the fourth operation. And whenever I could get an operation, I could be re-admitted. After six months in the hospital, the sentinels came to me and said, “you have been operated several times, and the doctor has swore never to operate you again. He said that he has used too much anesthesia in your body, and it’s not advisable to add more. Therefore, you have to go back home to Rwanda and visit your mum, for some kind of holiday. The doctor said I should be back after six months. By then, he would be able to carry out three more operations, operations that would take away all the remaining sicknesses. I first hesitated and thought I would wait until all the operations were done because deep within me, I knew how hard it would be to come back to Rwanda and go back to Geneva. But the ‘sentinels’ asked the Rwandans who were there to explain to me that they have enough money for my air ticket. They said that I shouldn’t worry much about the ticket, that it was not a problem at all since they had enough money to buy it for me.
Mupenzi : Therefore, the Rwandans came to convince me. “ For sure you have to respect people who helped you. If you disrespect them, they won’t pay for the remaining operations because whites don’t like people who don’t respect them. So, if you refuse to go back home, they will never help you again. And in the end it would be you wasting your own luck.” Therefore, I came back home in Rwanda. I was supposed to go back to Geneva after six months but after three months, I got terribly sick; this time I even got boils on my neck. I could get a boil, and the following day I could get another. I got about four boils. Fortunately, I had an uncle who was a doctor; he could take me to the hospital for treatment. My uncle wrote a letter to the ‘sentinels’. [The six months that they told me had even exceeded.] So, in the letter he told them that he was my uncle and he was a doctor by profession, he tried to explain my situation to them in the letter.
Mupenzi : Within a month, they had replied him; they said they were very surprised to hear that he [my uncle] would dare even say a word when he never helped me all along before. They went on and said that what they did was enough and the remaining part was for our country. “What we did was the hardest part, what remains is the easiest.” Then, Centinelle stopped helping me. So, my uncle continued to treat my boils and by chance, they healed. But it still felt very painful. When I came from Switzerland, I found when all the people that I had left in the Seminary school, had been killed. My mum who was in C.H.K and my older sister who was with me, are the ones who survived. The rest were killed.
Dock windowVoir Traduction Française
Manu : Donne-nous ton identité.
Mupenzi : Mon nom est Mupenzi Odette, je vis à Rwezamenyo, dans le Secteur de Nyakabanda à Nyamirambo, je suis une rescapée du génocide de 1994. Tout a d’abord débuté avec la mort d’ Habyarimana. Nous l’avons appris le lendemain matin, à la radio ; on nous avait dit que personne ne devait sortir. Nous sommes donc restés à la maison, mais quelque temps après, nous avons entendu des cris d’individus qui étaient battus.
Mupenzi : Puisque notre maison était voisine à un couvent où vivaient des frères Joséphites, nous avons monté une échelle sur leur mur et avons sauté[de l’autre côté]. Ils nous ont bien accueillis, nous y avons passé une nuit puis avons entendu des coups de feu à l’extérieur…des blessés nous y ont rejoints
Mupenzi : Le lendemain ils [les interahamwe]sont venus mais les frères Joséphites ont refusé de leur ouvrir le portail ; ils sont quand même passés par- dessus la clôture et ont ouvert le portail. Nous nous étions enfermés dans les salles de classe, ils sont venus en disant : « il y a des Inyenzi (FPR) ici ! ». Je me trouvais avec ma famille dans cette salle de classe mais mes frères se trouvaient à l’extérieur, ils surveillaient la cour.
Mupenzi : Je m’y trouvais avec mon père lorsqu’ils[les interahamwe] nous ont prié d’ouvrir la porte, nous avons refusé. Ils ont ensuite dit : « ouvrez ou laissez tomer mais sachez que nous allons défoncer la porte » Au fait, dans cette salle de classe, le seul homme était mon père, il leur disait…. Quant à moi, je me suis immédiatement cachée sous le matelas, on m’avait dit que les balles ne pouvaient pas tuer après avoir traversé le matelas. J’avais aperçu deux militaires armés, accompagnés de deux autres interahamwe. Ce sont d’ailleurs ces derniers qui insistaient pour que nous ouvrions le portail.
Mupenzi : Mon père a fini par céder, il a ouvert mais ces interahamwe l’ont surpris avec des coups de machette. Je l’ai entendu tomber, j’avais aussi entendu la vitre se briser près de moi, je me trouvaiss près de la fenêtre. Je ne pouvais plus entendre le son des balles tellement j’avais peur, j’ai sorti ma tête du matelas sous lequel je me cachais mais à peine sortie, j’ai été fusillée. Un militaire m’avait vue, il n’a pas perdu une seconde pour me tirer dessus.
Mupenzi : Les balles m’ont gravement touchée à la mâchoire inférieure, au bras et à la poitrine mais je respirais toujours, je me suis ensuite couchée…avant cette fusillade, j’entendais les autres[avec qui j’étais] dans la classe prier mais après je ne les entendais plus, ils étaient certainement morts.Ensuite, les interahamwe sont entrés, ils soulevaient les matelas, je respirais fort mais j’ai dû retenir mon souffle à leur arrivée. Ils soulevaient les matelas, lorsqu’ils sont arrivés près de moi, ils ont dit : « emmenez ceci dehors aussi ! », ils ont massacré ceux qui respiraient encore… j’ai des cicatrices sur la tête –par là ! Ensuite, je suis tombée dans l’inconscience, je ne sais plus ce qui s’est passé ensuite. Le lendemain soir, les frères Joséphites sont revenus. Quand j’ai repris connaissance, j’étais allongée parmi les cadavres ; un frère Joséphite se dirigeait vers moi avec une torche, ils nous ont soulevés et nous ont remis sur les matelas. Ils nous ont donné certains médicaments .
Mupenzi Quand les interahamwe revenaient, ils nous trouvaient allongés et pensaient que nous étions morts mais ceux qui avaient encore un peu d’énergie, se levaient et fuyaient mais moi je n’étais même pas en mesure de lever ma tête. Le 3ème jour, la Croix -Rouge est arrivée. Mon père lui était déjà décédé, ma mère s’était jetée sur le militaire armé pour qu’il lui tire dessus mais il l’avait repoussée vers les interahamwe qui l’ont immédiatement frappée de plusieurs coups de machette sur la tête. Elle est morte sur le champs.
Mupenzi : Ce n’est que trois jours après que la Croix -Rouge est arrivée nous tirer de là. La voiture de la Croix-Rouge nous a conduits au CHK [Centre Hospitalier de Kigali] . Mais en cours de route, lorsque nous sommes arrivés à Gitega, les interahamwe ont stoppé la voiture en disant : « les Tutsi !».Comme j’étais presque morte, la Croix- Rouge a même failli m’abandonner car le groupe [de blessés] avec lequel on m’avait transporté, était celui des gens à moitié- morts, ils nous ont pris au second tour. Ceux qui nous avaient précédés, avaient été tués là à Gitega car ils n’étaient pas gravement blessés. Les interahamwe disaient à la Croix -Rouge : « nous tuons les Inyenzi [FPR] mais vous, vous osez les soigner ! »
Mupenzi : Nous nous sommes ensuite rendus au CHK, il y avait des médecins mais pour mon cas, ils ne pouvaient rien faire pour moi parce que je me trouvais dans un état désastreux. Ils ont ensuite fait appel à un expert, il n’est pas venu ce soir là. En plus, la blessure pourrissait, les asticots sortaient de ma poitrine, mais à cause de l’acidité de la salive, la bouche n’avait pas pourri. Je n’avais pas de grands problèmes avec ma bouche mais aux aisselles, je pouvais voir des asticots de mes propres yeux déborder. Ce n’est que le lendemain que j’ai été emmenée dans la salle d’opération. Les médecins m’ont retiré les parties pourries, ont lavé la plaie…on ne pouvait pas la coudre puisque qu’elle était une région pourrie, ils l’ont donc lavée puis l’ont pansée.[la plaie]
Mupenzi : Nous nous y sentions à l’aise mais le lendemain, les militaires sont venus nous dire de quitter l’hôpital. Les médecins nous ont dit qu’ils ne pouvaient faire autrement. Ils[les militaires] disaient : « nous tuons les Inyenzi mais vous, vous les soignez ! ». ils nous ont jeté à l’extérieur mais j’ai eu de la chance parce qu’il y avait une infirmière qui était une belle-sœur de maman, et qui s’occupait de moi. Elle m’a trouvée à l’extérieur et m’a soigné la plaie vu qu’elle nécessitait d’être soignée deux fois par jour. Ses collègues disaient : « il y une Inyenzi dont Jeanne s’occupe là à l’extérieur », elle a été menacée jusqu'à abandonner. Elle ne revenait plus. Nos corps pourrissaient et puaient à l’extérieur sous la bâche[où nous nous trouvions]. L’eau coulait jusqu'à la bâche, les médecins avaient été interdits de prendre soin de nous.
Mupenzi : Les plaies se sont plus infectées. Au fait, les militaires à Kanombe s’étaient réfugiés à l’hôpital et un obus venait de s’y écraser. Lorsqu’ils envoyaient des tirs d’obus, les Inyenzi repliquaient aussi. Les interahamwe disaient alors que c’était nous qui servions de repère aux Inyenzi. Ils venaient enlever des gens le soir quand nous dormions, en les choisissant… mais, il leur était inutile de me tourner leur regard vers moi parce que j’étais presque morte, je n’avais même plus de visage puisqu’il avait gonflé, je ne craignais pas qu’ils pouvaient m’enlever. Par contre, ma petite sœur qui avait été blessée par balle à la main, c’est elle qu’ils ont enlevée une fois mais elle avait eu la chance qu’un médecin militaire qui nous connaissait, soit intervenu [en sa faveur] en ces mots : « laissez cette fille aller se coucher ».
Mupenzi : Nous sommes restés en cet endroit, mais vu que les militaires plaçaient des pièges à cet endroit, on a dû changer d’hôpital . Les médecins sont partis en premier, au fait parmi les médecins, il y avait de ceux qui nous livraient aux interahamwe. Ils venaient, nous observaient, puis le lendemain tu voyais des interahamwe venir enlever quelqu’un qui se trouvait dans le lit à côté. Ils[les médecins] ont donc tous fui en nous abandonnant tout seuls [les malades]. Mais heureusement, le lendemain matin, un véhicule est arrivé pour chercher ceux qui étaient gravement malades. J’étais parmi ces derniers et heureusement pour moi, un médecin Hutu a eu pitié de moi et m’a emmenée sur un fauteuil roulant jusque dans la voiture où se trouvaient les autres malades. Puisque nous nous trouvions à l’extérieur de la propriété et non dans les enceintes de l’hôpital, il m’a placée avec les autres. Nous avons pris la direction de Gitarama, mais avant d’y arriver, juste à l’endroit dénommé ‘igiti cy’inyoni’, les interahamwe ont stoppé la voiture, ils étaient à la recherche de ceux qui avaient des visages aux traits Tutsi mais moi je ne m’en souciais guère parce qu’ils ne pouvaient pas me reconnaître, j’étais dans un état complètement défiguré. Il y a un petit garçon qu’ils ont voulu descendre mais le chauffeur les a suppliés pour qu’ils ne le touchent pas, ils ont fini par céder. Au fait, ce n’était pas un chauffeur comme tel mais un médecin, Hutu.
Mupenzi : Quand nous sommes arrivés à Kabgayi, à l’école des sciences infirmières, on nous a demandé de nous coucher à terre. Nous n’avions personne pour prendre soin de nous. J’avais une grande sœur qui étudiait à Kabgayi mais je me disais qu’elle avait sûrement été tuée parce que lorsque la guerre avait éclaté, elle y suivait son stage…mais je gardais quand même espoir de la revoir. Le matin, les gens sont arrivés, ils ont retiré la couverture[sous laquelle j’étais] puis ont dit : « elle est morte ! » parce que j’étais morte de faim, vu que j’avais passé plusieurs jours sans manger. Mais cependant, je pouvais ouvrir un œil, j’ai observé, j’ai aperçu des élèves arriver mais par chance j’ai pu reconnaître ma grande sœur. Elle ne m’avait pas vue, elle est passée près de moi mais comme je ne pouvais pas parler, j’ai attiré son attention en touchant le tablier[qu’elle portait], elle m’a regardée mais elle n’a pas pu me reconnaître... elle a tiré attention puis elle n’a pas pu se retenir, en me reconnaissant, elle a couru s’enfermer dans sa chambre et sangloter. Une infirmière a ensuite demandé : « qu’est-ce qu’elle a ? Pourquoi revient-elle soudainement en pleurant ? » Mais les élèves lui ont répondu : « nous l’avons vue à l’extérieur s’arrêter un moment quand un des malades lui a tiré le tablier mais par après nous ignorons ce qui s’est passé… » les élèves sont immédiatement revenus, ils m’ont posé la question puis je leur ai répondu qu’il s ‘agissait de ma grande- sœur. Je parlais tellement bas que pour entendre ce que je leur disais, ils devaient placer leurs oreilles près de ma bouche pour m’écouter. Lorsqu’ils ont appris que c’était ma sœur, ils m’ont immédiatement placée dans la maison, j’étais, sincèrement parlant, à moitié morte… ils[les médecins] ont ensuite pensé à me perfuser mais ils n’ont pas pu trouver de veine parce que ces dernières avaient toutes disparues dans ma peau. Ils les ont cherchées [les veines] pendant des heures[dans ma peau] puis ils m’ont injecté du sérum à travers une seringue ; je ne pouvais pas tout avaler parce que ma bouche était complètement ouverte, on ne m’avait pas encore cousue.
Mupenzi : C’était d’ailleurs de cette manière [à travers la seringue] qu’on me nourrissait au CHK[Centre Hospitalier de Kigali]. Mais le médecin traitant avait demandé que je sois toujours nourrie à travers une seringue, car l’on cherchait en vain une veine dans mon corps sans la trouver car je n’avais ni eau, ni sang mais que par après on la trouverait. Ils[les personnels médicaux] me nourrissaient ainsi, puis ma sœur a été priée de venir également. Elle m’a lavée, parce qu’[à l’hôpital] on ne se lavait jamais. Le pansement qu’on m’avait fait une fois, y était encore pendant plusieurs jours sans qu’on le remplace, il obtenait même une couleur verdâtre à cause des pus. Ma sœur m’a dit que je pouvais contracter le tétanos, elle m’a donc lavée et a remplacé mon pansement qui est immédiatement devenu vert lui aussi, tellement il y avait des microbes. Ensuite, j’ai passé toute une journée buvant de l’eau [par sérum]pour reprendre un peu d’énergie et peu à peu les veines réapparaissaient [dans mon corps]. Ils [les infirmiers] sont revenus à la recherche d’un endroit [dans mon corps] par où me perfuser. Ils ont cherché longtemps avant qu’un médecin localise une veine à la cheville.Ma première perfusion était composée de plusieurs médicaments, d’antibiotiques… Ma sœur prenait soin de moi… mais pendant ce temps, certaines personnes avec qui j’étais arrivée, étaient décédées et leurs corps pourrissaient déjà à l’extérieur du fait qu’il y avait plusieurs malades, personne n’ayant pris soin d’eux. Il y avait même des interahamwe, des militaires, qui s’y trouvaient et demandaient d’être prioritairement soignés. Les réserves de médicaments venaient de s’épuiser…ma sœur prenait toujours soin de moi puis m’a installée dans une chambre où d’autres personnes prenaient soin de moi. Mais après deux jours, les interahamwe étaient arrivés, ils se sont battus , mais pendant ce temps, les obus éclataient en grande quantité à Kabgayi
Mupenzi : Vu que l’hôpital de Kabgayi était situé près de la Croix-Rouge, ma sœur a pris un brancard sur lequel elle m’a transportée avec l’aide de ses collègues. Nous passions au milieu des balles, il y avait de l’insécurité à l’extérieur. Les autres malades sont restés [à l’hôpital] mais ma sœur a réussi à me transférer à la Croix -Rouge, qui ne se trouvait pas loin de là. Quand nous sommes arrivés, nous y avons rencontré d’autres personnes malades, nous y sommes restés. Je n’avais plus d’autres problèmes excepté la maladie. Ma sœur a immédiatement trouvé un boulot à la Croix -Rouge mais quelques jours plus tard, la Croix- Rouge a été obligée de fermer leurs bureaux car la guerre s’intensifiait de plus en plus. L’on nous a cherché des voitures lesquelles devaient nous emmener à Nyanza, à la prison, c’est d’abord là que la Croix -Rouge a débuté ses opérations.
Mupenzi : Quand nous y sommes arrivés, nous recevions toujours des soins médicaux… je ne sais quoi dire mais c’est Dieu qui a tout fait parce que sans ma sœur je serais morte à Kabgayi comme ceux qui étaient restés à l’extérieur [ de l’hôpital], je serais morte par les balles, par la faim. Je n’avais plus de grand soucis concernant ma santé vu que ma sœur était présente [à mes côtés]. J’avais très mal parce que’on m’avait cassé toute la mâchoire inférieure, mes os étaient complètement détruits, j’avais extrêmement mal. En plus à la Croix- Rouge, il n’y avait pas de médecin spécialiste pour me soigner excepté ma sœur qui soignait ma blessure tous les matins et soirs. Il n’y avait rien de plus, pas de radio, rien du tout ! Je dormais à longueur de journées.
Mupenzi : Heureusement, qu’à la Croix-Rouge, il y avait des médicaments pour soigner la plaie, J’ai donc été soignée. Je n’avais pas trop de souci excepté ma santé. A la Croix-Rouge, je mangeais des biscuits trempés dans du lait, mais ce n’était pas facile de passer ce mélange à travers une seringue. J’étais incapable de lever ma tête, et lorsqu’on essayait de me relever, j’avais très mal. Mais puisque ma sœur s ‘occupait de moi à tout moment en me donnant du lait, je gagnais de l’énergie et petit à petit, je pouvais m’asseoir. Je me suis habituée à ce régime alimentaire, j’avais oublié la nourriture ordinaire, mais je n’avais plus faim.
Mupenzi : Nous sommes restes là durant toute la guerre, je n’avais pas de soucis concernant la sécurité, sauf qu’il y avait avec nous des malades interahamwe, des blessés sûrement qui portaient des armes au combat. Mais, ils ne pouvaient plus rien faire. Mais quand Nyanza a été pris par les Inyenzi, on nous a dit qu’il n’était pas conseillé d’y rester[à Nyanza] parce que le champs de bataille serait miné. La Croix -Rouge nous a ensuite emmenées, en voiture, à Rilima où il y avait un orphelinat mais les enfants [qui y vivaient] avaient été évacués vers l’Europe.
Mupenzi : Nous sommes restés à Rilima pendant un mois, puis au mois de Juillet la Croix -Rouge nous a dit que la guerre avait pris faim, donc que seuls les malades gravement atteints devaient partir avec elle[la Croix-Rouge]. Donc que ceux qui boitaient, pouvaient se débrouiller tout seuls, elle avait fait de son mieux pour leur venir en aide. Ils (le personnel de la Croix-Rouge] m’ont gardée avec eux parce que j’étais gravement malade aussi, la voiture nous a emmenées jusqu’ à l’hôpital Roi Faycal où nous avons été accueillies. Mais ma sœur et moi ne savions rien du reste de la famille ;j’avais abandonné maman et ma petite sœur au CHK[Centre Hospitalier de Kigali], les autres étaient restes au couvent mais nous n’avions pas de leurs nouvelles. Ma sœur a demandé une chambre[au CHK pour mon admission] qu’elle s’est vu ensuite accorder, elle y travaillait et par la même occasion, elle prenait soin de moi.
Mupenzi : J’ai ensuite été transférée dans la salle d’opération pour que l’on me retire[du corps]les balles car la saleté [que ces balles s’étaient recouvertes] empêchait la plaie de guérir. Le médecin était Blanc [de race blanche], un Belge. Il m’a d’abord anesthésiée puis m’a retiré toutes ces balles[de mon corps]. Je continuais mon traitement à l’hôpital, mais il y avait une collègue de ma sœur qui m’ avait confié qu ‘elle avait des amis Blancs[de race Blanche] qui lui sponsorisaient ses études. Elle m’avait promis qu’elle les emmènerait me rendre visite lorsqu’ils arriveraient[au Rwanda] car ces derniers lui avaient envoyé une lettre en lui disant qu’ils souhaitent venir visiter le Rwanda. Elle me disait qu’ils m’aideraient sûrement puisqu’ils [ces amis Blancs] sponsorisaient ses études et ses autres besoins de la vie courante.
Mupenzi : Ces Blancs sont arrivés, ils sont venus me rendre visite avec cette fille. Ma sœur a ensuite retiré le pansement qui se trouvait sur ma bouche pour leur montrer. C’était une plaie qui ne guérissait pas, après tous ces mois, elle tardait à guérir. Puis ils ont dit : « mais chez nous on peut faire ceci ! C’est juste une petite chirurgie esthétique puis elle [moi] redeviendrait comme avant ! » Ils m’ont pris une photo et ont apporté avec eux mes documents médicaux. C’était en Août, ils m ‘ont dit de les attendre,[à leur retour]. J’ai patienté, puis en Novembre est arrivé un autre Blanc qui travaillait pour eux car [ceux qui étaient venus me rendre visite la première fois], étaient déjà rentrés à Genève, et avaient une Association ici au Rwanda. Il [celui qui avait été envoyé ] ne me connaissait pas, il venait en demandant le nom d’une certaine Odette qui avait reçu des balles à la mâchoire.
Mupenzi : Il a cherché, puis il est arrivé devant moi avec ma photo et m’a demandé : « Est-ce toi Odette ? ». Je lui ai répondu que c’était moi. Il a appelé ma sœur puisque moi je pouvais parler parlais à peine, il lui a ensuite dit qu’il avait été contacté par les Blancs qui se trouvaient à Genève pour m’aider à les y rejoindre en vue d’y être opérée. Qu’il devait ainsi me chercher des papiers le plus vite possible ! Ce dernier m’a ensuite dit qu’il reviendrait le lendemain matin me chercher pour qu’on aille ensemble à la recherche de mon passeport. Il m’a ensuite dit qu’en y allant avec lui, je l’obtiendrai immédiatement. Le matin, il est revenu, nous sommes arrivés [au bureau d’immigration], cela n’a pas pris longtemps. Ensuite, on m’a directement accordé le visa vu l’état dans quel j’étais. Il m’a ensuite dit que je voyagerai le 30. J’ai voyagé vers le mois de Septembre ou Novembre.
MANU : ??
Mupenzi : Euh en 1994.
MANU : ??
Mupenzi : Ils ont ensuite délégué une personne qui devait m’accompagner, je l’ai rencontrée à l’Aéroport International de Kanombe. L’autre [le Blanc qui m’avait aidée] est resté [au Rwanda] parce qu’il travaillait ici. Au fait ce dernier m’avait appelée au téléphone pour venir me chercher parce que je n’étais pas en mesure de me déplacer toute seule. Pendant le voyage, celui qui m’accompagnait, me tenait et me donnait du sérum oral que je devais boire. Lorsqu’ on servait du thé, puisque je ne pouvais pas le boire, il utilisait une seringue pour le faire passer dans la bouche. Il a tout fait pour moi. Lorsque nous sommes arrivés chez lui, les gardiens sont venus m’accueillir, puis ils m’ont dit que je devais immédiatement me rendre à l’hôpital.
Mupenzi : Ils m’ont emmenée à l’hôpital, les médecins sont venus me rendre visite, m’ont fait passer une radio. J’ai vu les clichés puis le médecin a dit aux rwandais avec qui j’étais : « je crois que…ce n’est vraiment pas la peine ». Vu que les balles avaient atteint les narines, elles avaient brûlé à l’intérieur, je souffrais d’une infection grave qui avait emmené de l’eau dans mon crâne. Ils ont dit que nous avions fait le déplacement inutilement puisque de toutes les manières, je ne tiendrai plus pour longtemps. Il[le médecin] leur a montré les clichés en disant : « regardez donc, elle a de l’eau dans la tête et puis elle n’a plus de sang ! Plus d’eau … je ne comprend pas d’ailleurs comment elle est encore en vie en cet instant !… Mais nous sommes médecins, nous allons faire de notre mieux mais si elle meurt, nous vous aurions prévenus qu’elle n’avait plus de chance de vivre. »
Mupenzi : Le lendemain matin, ils m’ont emmenée dans la salle d’opération ; ils ont retiré l’eau qui se trouvait dans ma tête mais moi je n’en savais rien puisque j’étais sous anesthésie. A mon réveil, j’avais très mal au nez parce qu’ils avaient placé des mèches dans mes narines.
Mupenzi : Il y avait une rwandaise qui étudiait à l’Université et qui venait souvent me rendre visite, elle s’appelait Thérèse. Je lui ai demandé : « mais qu’est -ce qu’ils[les médecins] cherchaient dans mon nez ? » Car j’avais uniquement mal à l’endroit où ils avaient touché. Elle m’a répondu : « ce sont des spécialistes, ne t’inquiète pas ils savent ce qu’ils font ! ». Le lendemain, ils m’ont encore emmenée dans la salle d’opération. C’était encore pareil. Ces médecins me rendaient déjà nerveuse, lorsque je demandais ce qu’ils faisaient avec mon nez, on me disait : « ils savent ce qu’ils font, ne t’inquiète pas » ils l’on fait pendant trois jours. J’avais mal mais de moins en moins puis cela avait stoppé. Les médecins m’ont ensuite dit que mon corps était devenu complètement insensible à la douleur, comme celui d’un mort. Je m’endormais puis me réveillais souvent vers minuit, mais il ne s’agissait pas d’ un réveil comme tel.
Mupenzi : Les médecins disaient : « regardez ! on dirait qu’elle est morte » parce que je sommeillais toujours, comme un bébé. Ils disaient : « elle pouvait dormir de cette manière jusqu'à mourir sans vous apercevoir, ce n’est pas à cause de la plaie mais de l’infection qu’elle avait dans la tête. » Mais après l’opération, ils ont dit : « mais maintenant que nous avons pu l’opérer sans problème, elle ira mieux ». Puis les Rwandais qui s’y trouvaient avec moi, sont venus me le dire en ces mots : « les médecins nous avaient interdit de te dire quoi que ce soit ,maintenant tout va bien ». En réalité, il y avait une Burundaise qui était présente lors de mon opération, c’est elle qui m’avait expliqué ce qui s’était passé. Je suis restée à l’hôpital, les gardiens, les autres travailleurs me rendaient souvent visite et faisaient en sorte que je ne me manque de rien. Je m’y sentais vraiment bien.
Mupenzi : Je suis restée à l’hôpital puis on a dit que ce n’était pas souhaitable, qu’il fallait…au fait pendant ce temps, Noël approchait. Ils ont ensuite dit que ce n’était pas souhaitable que je passe les fêtes de Noël à l’hôpital mais moi j’ai d’abord….Mais lorsqu’ils m’ont retiré ce que je portais à la figure, je me sentais mal, très mal. Avant l’opération, cet os se trouvait dans un état désastreux , il fallait donc que l’on me fasse des injections tous les jours pour calmer la douleur. On m’a ensuite dit que je devais me rendre en France, j’y connaissais une rwandaise qui y allait en vacance. Mais je leur ai demandé : « si je vais en France, comment pourrais-je recevoir l’injection quotidienne qu’on me faisait à la bouche vu que j’avais incessamment mal » puis ils ont dit que ce n’était pas grave, ils me remettraient des médicaments. Ils lui[la rwandaise] ont donc remis des comprimés …alors que moi les comprimés, on me les donnait mais ils n’étaient pas aussi efficaces que l’injection.
Mupenzi Quand je suis arrivée en France, le matin j’ai demandé à la dame avec qui je vivais de me donner les médicaments, elle me les donnait à chaque fois que je lui demandais, encore et encore….Jusqu’ à ce que je m’aperçoive que j’avais dépassé la dose. Je suis ensuite devenue paralysée comme un mort, je ne sentais plus mon cœur battre… Elle a alors téléphoné[à l’hôpital] puis on lui a dit de me rentrer. On m’y a emmenée mais j’étais dans un très mauvais état.
Mupenzi : Je suis rentrée à l’hôpital, et j’y suis restée longtemps. Ils m’ont fait une autre opération pendant laquelle ils ont retiré les balles qui restaient[dans mon corps], il n’y avait plus d’os parce qu’ils étaient tous dans un mauvais état. Ils ont donc dû retirer un os ici pour le placer à la mâchoire, ils ont aussi placé un appareil pour le supporter. Ils ont ensuite coupé la chair ici qu’ils ont placée à la mâchoire, c’était complètement vide, mes joues avaient ‘fondu’ à cause de plusieurs cartouches qui m’avaient traversée[le corps]. Normalement ma bouche devait apparaître ainsi mais elle apparaissait comme ceci. Puis on a placé en moi des ustensiles semblables aux clous afin que les os reprennent leur état initial. Mais ces clous me faisaient mal aussi sauf que dans les hôpitaux européens[expérimentés], l’avantage est que le malade [peut attirer l’attention d’un médecin]] en sonnant lorsqu’il a besoin de lui. Celui –ci arriveen courant d’ailleurs pour t’injecter un médicament pour calmer la douleur. Je vivais ainsi….Ces clous devaient donc demeurer pour trois mois[dans mon corps], mais moi je trouvais ceci insupportable puis j’ai demandé qu’on appelle le médecin parce que je n’en pouvais plus. Mais on me répondait : « désolé mais c’est ainsi que cela doit se passer, c’est le traitement. Il faut être patient, avec le temps la douleur finira. » Je suis restée à l’hôpital longtemps mais par après je sentais la douleur s’apaiser jusqu’au moment où je prenais des comprimés mais les soirs….. Le temps est arrivé où on a jugé bon de me sortir d’hôpital et me chercher une famille d’accueil dans laquelle je devais vivre mais je devais continuer mes injections tous les soirs[à l’hôpital].
Mupenzi : Ces Blancs[de cette famille d’accueil] prenaient soin de moi, m’offraient un régime alimentaire léger, qui pouvait traverser une seringue parce que je n’étais pas en mesure de mâcher. On prenait soin de moi, les gardiens venaient me rendre visite aussi. Par après, j’avais l’habitude de rentrer à l’hôpital lorsque les médecins me le demandaient jusqu'à ce que la date de l’opération [que je devais subir] arrive.J’ai été opérée à quatre reprises mais par après je rentrais au foyer où je vivais. Après six mois, les gardiens sont venus me confier que le médecin avait dit qu’il m’avait opérée plusieurs fois et que par conséquent il n’accepterait plus que je subisse un autre opération parce que la dose d’anesthésie présente dans mon corps était élevée et que ce n’était pas conseillé ;que Je devais donc rentrer…rentrer au Rwanda voir ma mère, que c’était comme des vacances après ces 6 mois et qu’après je reviendrais me faire soigner vu que les médecins avaient dit qu’il me restait trois autres opérations à subir. Je me suis d’abord opposée à l’idée en disant que j’allais attendre qu’ils en finissent une fois pour toute parce que je savais qu’en rentrant au Rwanda, cela me serait difficile de revenir [en Suisse]. Mais on avait dit au gardien de me rassurer sur le fait que je ne manquerai pas de billet - retour parce qu’il n’y avait pas de problème d’argent. Puis les autres rwandais sont venus me dire que je ne devais pas refuser parce que ce serait une non-reconnaissance alors que ces Blancs m’avaient beaucoup soutenue. Qu’ils étaient même en mesure de refuser de m’aider à poursuivre avec les trois opérations qui me restaient. On me disait que si je ne rentrais pas, ils refuseraient de continuer à m’aider, que je ne devais donc pas gâcher mes chances. Je suis donc rentrée au Rwanda, à la maison. En principe, j’étais supposée rentrer en Suisse six mois après mais vers le 3ème mois, je suis retombée malade, j’avais extrêmement mal, j’avais des ganglions au cou. C’était d’abord un, ensuite deux, puis ils devenaient quatre. Cependant, j’avais un oncle qui était médecin, il m’emmenait à l’hôpital pour qu’on les opère[mes ganglions] puis ensuite il leur a écrit [aux Blancs]. Les six mois touchaient déjà à leur fin puis il a écrit au gardien[du foyer où j’habitais] en lui disant que j’avais des graves problèmes et qu’étant donné qu’il[mon oncle] est médecin, il pouvait bien leur expliquer mon cas.
Mupenzi : Après un mois, ils avaient déjà répondu[à mon oncle] en lui disant qu’ils étaient très étonnés du fait qu’il n’avait rien fait pour moi à l’époque mais que tout d’un coup il s’était mis à parler ! Ils ont ensuite ajouté qu’ils ont fait tout ce qu’ils pouvaient, que le Gouvernement devait faire le peu qui restait. C’est ainsi que le gardien avait refusé de continuer à m’aider. Mon oncle continuait à me soigner ces ganglions, qui ont guéri mais par après, j’avais toujours mal. Au fait quand je suis rentrée de Suisse, à la maison il y avait ma mère, ma petite sœur et ma grande sœur. Les autres qui se trouvaient au couvent[pendant la guerre] y ont été tués.
Dock windowUbuhamya Bwanditse
Manu : Ushobora gutangira ukivuga, ukavuga n’umwirondoro wawe.
Mupenzi : Nitwa Mupenzi Odetta, nyine nkaba ntuye muri Rwezamenyo muri Segiteri Nyakabanda i Nyamirambo nkaba narahuye n’itsembabwoko ryo muri Mata 1994.ubwo ngubwo Habyarimana yarapfuye, twabimenye mu gitondo, kuri Radio baravuga ngo ntihagire umuntu uva mu Rugo, tuguma mu Rugo gatoya ariko tugiye kumva, twumva abaturanyi barimo barataka barimo barabakubita, duturanye n’ikigo cy’abafrère rero Josephite.
Mupenzi : Dushaka urwego tururira, tujyamo imbere (mu kigo cy’abafrères) baratwakira, twamaranye ijoro rimwe, ariko hanze twumva amasasu…hazamo abantu bakomeretse. Bukeye bwaho, niho natwe baje rero, Abafrere banga kubakingurira, ariko barasimbuka bagwamo, barikingurira barinjira. Twe turi mu mashuli badusangamo baza bavuga ngo ‘eh! Aha hantu hari inyenzi! Ubwo ngubwo umuryango wanjye twari turi kumwe (mw’ishuli) ariko Basaza banjye bo, bari hanze. Iyo wabaga uri umusore barakubwiraga ngo ujye hanze, bariho bacungira hanze, nyine aho mu Bwatsi.
Mupenzi : Ariko Papa wanjye we yari ahari, twari turi kumwe muri iryo shuli. Ubwo rero baraje barakomanga, twanga gufungura, nuko baravuga bati mushake mufungure cyangwa mubireke icyo tuzi cyo urugi turarwica. Papa wanjye rero niwe wari urimo ari Umugabo aravuga ati, twebwe twahise twihisha munsi ya matora, baravugaga ngo amasasu ntafata umuntu uri munsi ya matora (matelas). Ariko ubwo abari bari kw’Idirishya, nabonye ari Abasirikare 2 n’abandi baturanyi b’interahamwe bari barimo abasirikare bari bafite imbunda 2 ni nabo bavugaga ngo dufungure.
Mupenzi : Ubwo yahise agenda kuko ariwe wari umugabo (papa) arafungura. Afunguye rero bahise bamusanganira bamukubita Imihoro (interahamwe), numva araguye, nari ndi munsi ya matora, ariko ubwo nkaba narinumvise ikirahuri kimeneka, nari negereye i dirishya. Noneho numvise bakubise aguye, nanjye nkuba umutwe munsi ya matora, nkuye umutwe munsi ya matora, kubera ubwoba rero njye ntanubwo numvaga urusaku rw’imbunda, naho bari batangiye kurasa hanze. Ubwo njye nubuye umutwe, mpita mpura n’amasasu, aba (umusirikare) aba arambonye nyine ahita aya nyanyagizamo.
Mupenzi : Barandasa hano muri machoire (mu misaya) ndakomereka cyane, no mu Kuboko, no mu gatuze. Ubwo ngubwo na numva mfite akuka ndaryama, ndakomeza ndaryama… ubwo abo twari turi kumwe bari bariho basenga, n’umva baracecetse, naho ubwo babaga bamaze nabo kubarasa. Nuko noneho bageze aho noneho binjira mu nzu, bakajya bakuraho matora, aho nari ryamye aho, narindimo mpumekera hejuru, nari nafunze umwuka ryamye ndimo mpumekera hejuru, baravuga bati ngo iki nacyo nikivemo, noneho bakoresha n’IMIHORO, ubu no mu mutwe ndatemye.n’uko mpita numva nguye muri coma, sinamenye uko bigenze. Ubwo rero sinongeye kumenya uko bigenze, bucyeye nibwo, ninjoro, nibwo Abafrere baje. Narakangutse n’uko nsanga ryamanye n’indi mirambo hasi, nibwo hazaga Umufrere, aza amurika Itoroshi, baraduterura nyine badusubiza kuri Matora ahongaho barajyenda bariho bareba abantu badusukiraho Imiti, ubwo ngubwo turaharara, buracya, twirirwamo.
Mupenzi : Izo Nterahamwe zikaza, zikabona twapfuye, abari bakomeretse bakibasha kugenda bo barongeraga bagahunga, ariko njyewe nari ryamwe hasi, sinabashaga no kweguka! Hashize umunsi wa 3 rero, nibwo Croix Rouge yaje. Papa wanjye ubwo baramwishe we yahise agwa aho, nyine arapfa birarangira, mama nawe yarasohotse ariyahura ajya gufata wa Musirikare w’imbunda, umusirikare ahita amwiyaka amuha Interahamwe, ziramutemagura cyane mu mutwe ahita agwa muri coma.
Mupenzi : Ubwo rero iminsi 3 ishize nibwo Croix rouge yaje kuhadukura. Batujyana mu Modoka zabo kuri C.H.K. Ariko ubwo mu nzira, tugeze ku Gitega, Interahamwe zaraduhagaritse ziravuga ziti ‘abatutsi…’Njye kuko babonaga napfuye, igice twajyanyemo twari abantu barembye cyane, banatujyanye nyuma y’abandi, bashatse no kutureka kuko n’ubundi babonaga twapfuye. Ariko ngo hari abarwayi bajyanye mbere yacu, barababaka (interahamwe) kuko babonaga batarembye cyane, bahita babicira ku Gitega. Basarana croix rouge bati ‘turimo turica Inyenzi, mukabajyana mukabavura?’
Mupenzi : N’uko ubwo rero twe twarahise turajyenda, tujya muri C.H.K. tuhasanga Abaganga, njyewe ntakintu bari ku nkoraho kubera ko babonaga nashwanyaguritse cyane, ntakindi kintu bankoraho, batumiza umu Docteur w’umuhanga, iryo joro ntiyaza, kandi ubwo hari hatangiye kubora, hari n’inyo mu Gatuza, inyo zari ziriho zigenda ariko mu kanywa ho hari haboze, kubera ko amacandwe yo agira acide. Ho nta kibazo cyari kirimo, ariko aha mu kwaha ho hajogaga inyo, zigenda nanjye nzibona. Ubwo bukeye rero, nibwo banjyanye muri Salle d’opération, bafata ibyo binyama bishwanyaguritse, boza igisebe cyaboze…. ntabwo hagombaga kudodwa kuko hari haboze, barogeje gusa ubundi barapfuka.
Mupenzi : Ubwo twari tugifite agahenge turi kwa Muganga, ariko noneho bwarakeye Abasirikare baraza baravuga bati ‘turica I nyenzi, mwe mukazivura!’ Noneho badukura mu cyumba twari turimo ngo mujye hanze, ubwo noneho Abaganga baravuga bati ntakundi twabigenza nyine, mugomba gusohoka ariko amahirwe nagize, hari umuforomokazi, muramukazi wa mama, narahamusanze, yakunze kunyitaho, akansanga aho hanze akanyogereza igisebe kubera ko napfukwaga kabili ku munsi, cyari igisebe giteye ubwoba. Bageze aho barabimenya, baravuga bati Jeanne hari Inyenzi ajya kuvura hariya, noneho batangira kumerera nabi, n’uko ageze aho nawe arabireka. Noneho tunukira hanze aho muri Shitingi.Imvura ikagwa, amazi akadusanga mu nzu, n’abaganga bakababuza bati mwijya gupfuka ziriya Nyenzi.
Mupenzi : Noneho ibisebe biranuka biteye ubwoba. Ubwo rero hari n’Abasirikare b’I Kanombe, bari bahahungiye, bakajya bavuga ngo kubera ibyo Bisasu birimo bihagwa…. interahamwe zaroherezaga ibisasu, n’Inkotanyi zikohereza. Ubwo bakavuga ngo Inyenzi zirimo, turimo turaranga ahantu bari. Ubwo buri joro bazaga gufata abantu, bakaza bagatoranya turyamwe aho ngaho. Ariko njyewe, ntawirirwaga andeba kuko n’ubundi nari narapfuye. Nta sura nari mfite kuko nari narabyimbaganye, njye nta kibazo nari mfite. Ahubwo murumuna wanjye, we bari baramurashe ukuboko, ni we bigeze gutwara, nawe aza kugira amahirwe abona Umuganga tuziranye kuko uwo muganga yari umusirikare aravuga ati ‘uwo mwana ni mumureke ajye kwiryamira’. Ubwo tubamo gutyo, noneho kuko bahateraga ibisasu cyane, Ibitaro bya C.H.K birimuka, abaganga barabanza baragenda, kandi no muri abo baganga batuvuraga harimo n’Abadutanga! Hari abazaga bakatureba bwacya ukabona bajyanye uwo mwegeranye, bakamutwara…ubwo ngubwo noneho bahise bihungira barigendera abarwayi dusigara aho. Ariko kubw’Imana, bucyeye tubona haje Imodoka zije gutwara abarwayi barembye.
Mupenzi : Kubera ko nari umurwayi urembye, ni umuganga wangiriye impuhwe w’umuhutu, ahita anshyira mw’igare, anshyira mu modoka, aho abandi barwayi bari. Kuko n’ubundi nta n’ubwo twari turi mu bitaro, twari hanze mu Kibuga, anshyira muri abo ngabo.turagenda, tugeze mu nzira, hariya i Gitarama, tutari twagera i Gitarama neza, hirya yo ku Giti cy’inyoni, tubona i Nterahamwe, zihagarika i modoka, ubwo bareba abatutsi barimo, ariko njyewe nta kibazo bangirangaho kuko nari byimbaganye cyane. Hari akana k’agahungu bashatse gukuramo ariko ubwo Chauffeur (ntiyari umushoferi yari umuganga w’umuhutu) agusabira imbabazi cyane, akana barakareka turagenda. Tugeze i Kabgayi, baturyamisha hanze kw’ibaraza, hasi kandi nta nubwo wabonaga umuntu ukwitaho.
Mupenzi : Njyewe rero nari mfite mukuru wanjye wigaga i kabgayi, mu ishuli ry’aforomokazi, ubwo ngubwo umutima ukavuga uti kubera ko intambara yabaye ariho akora Stage, numva agatima kandimo ko nshobora kumubona. Ubundi nkavuga nti wenda yarapfuye…mu gitondo, abantu bakaza bakorosora bati uyu yapfuye kubera ko n’inzara yari yaranyishe, n’inzara yonyine ubwayo yendaga kunyica kubera ko nta biryo byanjyaga mu kanwa. Ubwo ngubwo, ijisho rimwe ryararebaga, ndareba mbona Abanyeshuli baraje ngize amahirwe mbona mukuru wanjye nguwo! Anyuraho, ntabwo nabashaga kuvuga mukurura itaburiya. Arandeba, aranyoberwa, aritegereza, arashishoza…noneho nta kindi yakoze, yahise agenda arifungirana ararira.
Mupenzi : Nuko umuganga wari uraho aravuga ati ese uyu bite ko tubonye aje arira. Abanyeshuri baravuga bati ‘ariko tubonye anyuze hanze, tubonye umurwayi amukurura, sinzi ukuntu bigenze….ubwo baragaruka (Abanyeshuri), barambaza , mbasubiza ko ari mukuru wanjye. Ariko ubwo nyine sinabashaga kuvuga ahubwo byari ugutega amatwi cyane, baza kumva ngo ni mukuru wanjye, bahise bankura aho hanze baranjyana mu nzu, bandebye basanga n’ubundi nari ngiye gupfa... bashaka umutsi ngo bantere serumu (sérum) barawubura, kuko imitsi yari yaratebeye. Ngeze nko ku gihe cya nyuma, birabayobera, batangira noneho bampesha Serenge n’ubundi niyo nanyweshaga, iyo nabonaga nk’icyayi C.H.K wenda hari abantu bazaga kugemura b’abagiraneza, bakazana icyayi, banshyiriraga muri serenge (séringue), hakajgenda gake ibindi, bikaguruka, kubera ko hari hakirangaye, hatarahataradodwa. Ubwo Muganga arababwira ati mukomeze mumuhe iyo Serumu yo mu kanwa, ati buriya umutsi uribugere aho ugaruke kuko imitsi yumye, nt’amazi agifite mu mubili, nta n’amaraso.
Mupenzi : Bakomeza kumpereza ibyo byo mu kanwa, mukuru wanjye ageze aho baramubwira ngo ni aze, atangira ibintu byo kunyuhagira (twabagaho tudakaraba), noneho barapfukura. Igipfuko cyari cyarahindutse icyatsi, mukuru wanjye aza kuvuga ati yendaga kurwara tetanos.bagikuraho baranyuhagira, bashyiraho ikindi, nacyo kigahita gihinduka icyatsi (hari harimo microbe) ziteye ubwoba. Niriwe nywa ayo mazi bigeze ejo noneho imitsi itangira guhaguruka, bagaruka gushakisha, baratobagura, bagize amahirwe, harimo Umuganga w’umuhanga awubona ku kaguru bigoranye.
Mupenzi : Batera Serumu imwe, bahita bashyiraho za Antibiotique, imiti myinshi… ubwo mukuru wanjye, yakundaga kunyitaho, ariko babandi twazanye bo harimo n’abapfiriye hanze, abandi banukiye ahongaho, ntawigeze abareba kuko abarwayi bari benshi…. hari n’interahamwe z’abasirikare, bavuga ko arizo bagomba kuvura, abandi batabitaye, n’imiti imaze kubashirana…mukuru wanjye, yarakomeje anyitaho, njya mu cyumba nk’abandi barwayi, ndaryama, bakomeza kumvura. Ariko hashize iminsi ibili, ubwo interahamwe ziba zirahageze, ziba zitangiye kurwana cyane, kandi ubwo ibisasu bigumya kuhitura cyane.
Mupenzi : Ibitaro byaho i kabwayi byari byegeranye na croix rouge, mukuru wanjye ubwo aba afashe burankari (brancard), abwira n’abakobwa bigana banterekaho, ubundi bajyenda banyura mu masasu nyine, hanze byakomeye, ba Barwayi bo basigaye aho, njye banyuzamo tujya Croix rouge, ntabwo hari iri kure. Tugeze muri Croix rouge, dusanga harimo n’abandi barwayi, ntakindi kibazo nongeye kugira keretse icy’uburwayi gusa. Mukuru wanjye nawe aragumya arakora aho muri Croix rouge anyitaho rwose n’uko, Croix rouge nayo baza kuyibwira ko igomba kuhava kuko byari bimeze nabi, badushakira imodoka zo gutwara abarwayi badushyiramo, turagenda batujyana i Nyanza kuri prison. Niho babahaye umwanya.
Mupenzi : Ubwo badushyiramo (abarwayi ba Croix rouge), bari badufashe neza nta kibazo, turavurwa, kuko mukuru wanjye….ngirango ni nk’Imana yabikoze kuko iyo ntamugira,nanjye nari gusigara i Kabgayi nk’abo bandi basigaye ku rubaraza, mu mamasasu, inzara ikanyica n’uburwayi….mukuru wanjye yagumye kunyitaho ntabwo nongeye guhangayika keretse nyine umubiri kuribwa,ariko nta kindi kibazo nagiraga kuko yaragendaga, n’amata bakamuha, n’abaganga bakandeba…. ntakindi kibazo nongeye kugira cyane, gusa ikibazo cyari icy’uburwayi kuberako bari barandashe hano muri machoire, amagufa yaramenagurikiyemo imbere,mbese ubwo ngubwo mfite imvune indya, ndibwa cyane biteye ubwoba.Kandi ubwo ngubwo aho muri Croix rouge naho, nta nta baganga bahambaye bari bahari bo kumfasha.Gusa mukuru wanjye niwe wazaga koza icyo gisebe mu gitondo na nimugoroba nta kindi! nta radio yari ihari,nta… kwari kuryama aho gusa!
Mupenzi : Cyokora imiti yoza ibisebe bari bayifite bakomeza kunyogereza, ntabwo nahangayikaga keretse kuribwa gusa. Tugeze croix rouge bampaga amata bakavangamo biswi (biscuit), ariko bikagorana, gufata biswi ukayishyira muri serenge, byabaga bigoye. Sinaryaga…kubyuka ho barambyutsaga, mbabara cyane kuberako hari harimo imvune, cyakora kuberaka mukuru wanjye yanyitagaho akagerageza kumpa ayo mata buri kanya, n’ubwo amwe yasohokaga. Buri kanya akaba anyitayeho mbese, ntangira kumenya kwicara noneho, nakwicara nkumva ndakomeye. Inzara numva irashize menyera nyine biswi n’amata, ibiryo byo nari narabyibagiwe.
Mupenzi : Ubwo croix rouge twarabanye, intambara yose yabaye twibereye hamwe, nta kibazo twari dufite keretse kuribwa, ariko ubundi hari umutekano, uretse gusa ko twabaga turwaranye n’interahamwe, ukumva ngo uriya ni Interahamwe nawe yakomeretse itwaje nk’abasirikare babo amasusu, ukaba uzi ko uri kumwe n’interahamwe nyine n’uko ariko ntakintu bari kudutwara kuko babaga barwaye, n’uko twibanira na Croix rouge. Bigeze aho i Nyanza naho, hari haramaze gufatwa n’Inkotanyi, baravuga ngo nituhimuke hari imitego myinshi, ngo hari ibintu benda kuhakorera, ubwo Croix rouge idushyira mu modoka zayo itujyana Iririma, ahantu hari ikigo cy’Imfubyi, ariko abo bana bo bari barahunze, baragiye iburayi.
Mupenzi : Tukibamo, mu kwa Gatandatu ho twari turi Iririma, tugumamo, mu kwa 7 nibwo Croix rouge rero yavuze ngo intambara irarangiye batoranyamo abarwayi barembye cyane babandi bacumbagira bo barababwira bati murebe ukundi mugenza nyine, twarabafashije tugiye kwimuka, turajyana Indembe zacu. N’uko ubwo ngubwo nanjye banshiramo kuko nanjye nari ndembye, badushyira mu modoka itugeza kuri Roi Faycal, baratwakira. Mukuru wanjye nawe, ntabwo twari tuzi amakuru yo mu rugo, nkubwo mama namusize C.H.K na murumuna wanjye, abandi bari basigaye mu gifrère, ntabwo twari tuzi amakuru yabo, ubwo Mukuru wanjye yaka icyumba kuri Faycal barakimuha, akajya akora akanarwaza. Ubwo bakomeza kunyitaho, mpasanga Umuganga w’Umuzungu w’umubiligi anjyana muri Salle d’operation, arampandura ibice by’amasasu byari byaransigayemo kuko igisebe cyari cyaranze gukira kubera umucafu (umwanda) uri muri ibyo bice by’amasasu bigishinzemo.
Mupenzi : Antera ikinya kinsinziriza, arabihandura, ndongera nsubira mu bitaro. Bakomeza kumvura, noneho rero hakaba hari umukobwa wiganye na mukuru wanjye, yari afite Abazungu bamufasha baba muri Suisse. Ubwo Abazungu bamwandikira ko benda kuza mu Rwanda, kuvizita (visiter) bareba ibyo mu Rwanda ukuntu byabaye. Uwo mukobwa abwira Mukuru wanjye ati ‘nibaza kundeba ndababwira kundeba na Odetta, rwose buriya bafite ikintu bamumarira kuko nanjye baramfasha cyane’. Uwo mwana, nawe yari afite nyina gusa, ari abakene, abo Bazungu bamurihiraga amashuli, ibibazo byose bakabimutunganyiriza.
Mupenzi : Ubwo rero abo Bazungu uwo mukobwa yabazanye kuri Faycal, abazana aho ndi barandeba, bahita bapfukura rwose, mukuru wanjye akuraho ibyo bipfuko byose abereka uko hari hameze, haranze gukira, ayo mezi yose hari hakiriho igisebe cyaranze gukira. Barareba, baravuga bati ibi ngibi iwacu barabivura, bati ni chirurgie esthetique, rwose twabikora kuburyo yakongera akaba umuntu. Ubwo ngubwo baramfotora bajyana n’impapuro zanjye zo kwa muganga, z’ukuntu nagiye mvurwa, ubwo ngubwo bahaje ari mu kwa munani, bahaje kwa munani kuri Faycal.barambwira ngo ni ntegereze, ubwo ngubwo ndategereza ndategereza ibyangombwa ba baza kuza nko mu kwa 11,mu kwa 11 mbona bohereje umuntu Umuzungu nyine wabakoreraga bo bari barasubiye iwabo i Génève ariko bafite Association ino aho mu Rwanda.n’uko ubwo araza aza ashakisha umurwayi witwa Odetta, barashe muri Machoir, aramushakisha ngiye kubona mbona anguyeho arambaza ati ni wowe Odetta ? Aza azanye n’ifoto yanjye ayinyereka ndamubwira nti ni njyewe, aba ahamagaye Mukuru wanjye kuko njye ntabashaga kuvuga neza ntabwo nabashaga kuvuga neza, Mukuru wanjye araje baba baravuganye amubwirako ngo abo Bazungu b’I Génève baterefonye ngo bakavuga ko agomba kunshakira ibyangobwa vuba vuba noneho ubwo nkajya iwabo nyine bakajya kumbagirayo n’uko, ubwo ngubwo umuzungu ubwo arambwira ati ni mugitondo ndagaruka ngufate tujye gushaka Passeport ati ndakwijyanira nta kibazo bazahita babiguha, ubwo rero bwarakeye aza kumfata kuri Faycal ubwo ndangenda bahise banansinyira rwose ba barambonye ukuntu meze bahise bampa VISA n’uko ubwo ngubwo rero noneho ahita ambwira ati ugomba kuzajyenda tariki,tariki 30,nibwo nagiye z’ukwezi kwa 9 mukwa9 cyangwa mu kwa 11.
MANU : ???
MUPENZI : Uhh,muri 94.
MANU : ???
Mupenzi : N’uko ubwo ngubwo bohereza umuntu wagombaga kumperekeza twahuriye ku kibuga hari I Kanombe, wawundi yasigaye ino kuberako yakoreraga ino aha,we yanterefonnye aje kumfata kuko yabonye rwaye ndembye ntashobora no kwijyana mu nzira ya njyenyine. N ‘uko ubwo uwo Muzungu turajyanye nyine tugeze mu nzira nawe akimfashe akampereza ayo mazi bari bari bampaye amazi ya Serumu njyenda nnya,tu twagera mu nzira njye ntabwo iyo bazanaga icyayi sinannyaga,sinajyaga nywa icyayi,kwari ugufata iyo Serenge uwo Muzungu agenda abinkorera,ngenda nywa ayo mazi mu nzira ngeze iwe rero nsanga Centinelle nyine abakozi baho baje kunyakira ubwo ngubwo bajya barambwira bati ugomba guhita ujya mu bitaro.
Mupenzi : Bajyana mu bitaro rero ,ubwo ba ngezeyo nyine abaganga baza kundeba bahita bagira,banyuza muri radio nyine, ubwo ngubwo amafoto mbona barayazanye ariko babwira abo banyarwanda nyine bati uno muntu buri ndabona usa n’ubundi asa ari hahandi. Kubera ko barandashe no mu masuru harashya Infection,ngira infection kuburyo hano mu mutwe harimo amazi mu gihanga bati mwaruhijwe n’ubusa gusa n’ubundi azapfa. N’uko abereka amafoto ati dore harimo amazi ahubwo n’ikidutangaza, yewe nta n’amaraso akigira mu mubili nt’amazi ahubwo turibaza n’impamvu agenda.N’uko bati : « icyakora tuzagerageza turi abaganga ariko napfa nyine ubwo twabibabwiye nta mahirwe afite yo kubaho.» Ubwo ngubwo ndagize nda… niryamiye aho mu bitaro bucyeye ariko,bukeye bahise babikora byihuse banjyana muri Salle d’opération batangira gukuramo ayo mazi yari ari mu mutwe, ariko njye baransinzirizaga sinamenyaga ibyabaye n’uko nkanguka numva mu mazuru nyine hambabaza harimo ibintu bya meshi (mèches).
Mupenzi : Noneho mbaza umunyarwandakazi wajyaga aza kunsura witwaga Thérèse yigaga kuri Université yaho,ndamubaza ariko se mu mazuru yanjye bagiye gushakayo iki ? ko aho mbabaye ari hano nari nzi ko ariho bakoze none mu zuru barajya gukoramo iki ? Aravuga ati : « byihorere ni abaganga buriya barabizi. » Bukeye bwaho baho bansubiza muri Salle d’opération ngaruka na none ari uko, noneho njyewe ndakarira abaganga nkibaza ibintu barimo bakambwira bati : « bareke n’abaganga buriya ibyo bakora barabizi .» Babikoze iminsi 3 yose babikuramo ubwongubwo ndakomeza niryamira aho noneho aho nari ngeze… ntabwo nari nkibabara,narababaye ngeze aho birashira abaganga baravuze ngo : «umubiri wanjye wari warabaye nkuwo umuntu wapfuye sinongera kuribwa noneho mba nk’ikintu kikinya noneho nkajya nsinzira cyane gusa nkasinzira cyanee,nkabyuka nkakanguka nka saa sita,kubyuka ntago nabaga mbyuka.
Mupenzi : Ubwo ngubwo abaganga baravuga bati : « ameze nk’umuntu wapfuye, ntureba ko ahora asinziriye » nahoraga nsinziriye nk’uruhinja.bati : « buriya rero yari kuzasinzira akagenda agiye mukibaza icya mwishe mu kandi atari kiriya gisebe kandi ari ibintu biri mu mutwe we bya infection yamurenze.» N’uko ubwo cyakora babikuyemo birashira noneho baravuga bati : « ubu ubwo tubikuyemo ntagire icyo aba ntacyo akibaye » bati : « rwose urabona bimeze neza ntakintu akibaye.» ubwo nibwo abo banyarwanda baje barabibwira bati : « urumva twari twaragize ubwoba muganga yari yaratubujije kubikubwira ariko noneho tubikubwire.» Hari umurundikazi wari uri muri opération yanjye niwe wakundaga kuza tukavugana cyane ikiba akatu… yari ya… yabaga I Burundi niwe wabimbwiye neza aransobanurira. N’uko ubwo ndakomeza nibera mu bitaro, abakozi bacentinelle bakansura icyo nkeneye cyose barakimpaga rwose nta kibazo nagiraga.
Mupenzi : N’uko nibera mu bitaro uko nyine,bageze aho bati : « kuba mu bitaro ntabwo ari byiza, reka tugire reka tu…. » icyo gihe Noheli yari yegereje kuba baravuga bati : « reka ajye kuruhuka Noheli kumusanga mu bitaro ntabwo ari byo, njye mbanza no… noneho ibyo bintu bamaze kubikuraho ndatangira nkajya ndibwa cyane, cyane ariko ; iri gufwa ryari ryaramenekeyemo batari bakura ibyo bintu… batari bambaga. N’ukuvuga ngo nahoraga nterwa inshinge noneho zo gukaruma (koroshya) ububabare arizo mporaho.bati : « noneho ugomba kujya muri France » hari umunyarwandakazi wari uriyo, ukajya kuruhukirayo. Ndababwira ntise nzajyayo ruriya rushinge nzajya ndukura he ko mpora ndibwa mukantera mu kanwa nzarukurahe ? bati : « turamuha imiti nta kibazo » ubwo bamuha imiti bamuhaye ibinini kandi ibinini ubundi njyewe ibinini… babimpaga nkibabara bikaza kugera igihe noneho hagomba urushinge.
Mupenzi : Ubwo noneho nagezeyo naharaye rimwe mu gitondo uwo mugore akomeza kumpa imiti uko mwatse akampereza akampereza,nza kugera igihe noneho nywa ibinini birenze urugero nshiduka nanjye ubwanjye meze nk’upfuye ntazi… numva nyine neza umutima urahagaze Araterefona rero ubwo ngubwo bahita bavuga ngo nibangarure, n’uko ubwo baranjyana meze nabi cyane ubwo ngubwo… ubundi ndakomeza nigumira mu bitaro rwose igihe cyose nibera mu bitaro.Bigeze aho ngaho maze kugira bahita bambaga nyine bakuramo ibice by’amasasu byari bikirimo byinshi,igufwa nta ryari ririmo ryari ryaramenaguritse baragira bashaka irindi gufwa ryanjye hano gutya barikuramo bariteramo ubundi bashyiraho n’icyuma cyo kurifata. N’uko barangije rero bakura umubiri hano batera hano hari hasamye n’uko numvise rero nari narayayutse ho gutya kubera amasasu kuko haranyuzemo menshi, ubundi mu kanwa haba hameze uku ariko njyewe byari byarabaye uku.
Mupenzi : Bashyiramo rero ibintu by’imisumari byo kugira ngo hongere hagaruke ku murongo nyine amagufa yongere azajye mu ntuza mu mwanya yari arimo. N’uko hamaze iminsi ibyo bisumari nabyo bikambabaza cyane nkibera kwa muganga nyine cyokora amahirwe burya y’iburayi nyine iyo ukeneye umuganga urasona akaza yiruka, agahita agutera umuti nyine wo gukaruma ububabare, nibera muri ubwo buzima…. muri ubwo nyine. N’uko, iyo misumari rero yagombaga kumaramo amezi 3, ariko njyewe nkumva birandenze,bampamagarira Dogiteri nti reka reka rwose mubwira ko birya cyane aravuga ngo : « nta kundi nyine ni umuti ni ukubyihanganira,ati ariko uko bizajyenda iminsi igenda niko ububabare buzagenda bushira.» N’uko ubwo ngubwo nibera kwa muganga gutyo nyine mbabayee, n’uko ubwo ngubwo maze koroherwa numva ubwo bubabare butakirimo cyane, ngeze ku… noneho ngeraho noneho nkoresha ibinini ariko byagera ni joro… Noneho ubwo baba bankuye ku mu bitaro banshakiye famille aho mbana n’abandi bana,noneho buri joro ho najyaga kwiteza urushinge rwo kugirango nsinzire.Ku manywa nirirwaga nywa ibinini ibinini bikagera ni joro noneho ububabare ntakibasha kwihangana buri joro bajyaga kunteza urushinge,gutyo gutyo.
Mupenzi : Abo Bazungu cyokora bakarwaza,bakanshakira ibiryo byoroshye ariko nyine bijya muri Serenge kuko si sinakanjakanjaga sinaryaga,bandwaza neza Centinelle nyine ikaza kunsura aho ngaho. N’uko maze kuba…. nyuma y’aho rero nakomeje kujya nsubira mu bitaro abaganga bantumyeho nyine itariki yo kubagwa igeze,nabagiweyo inshuro 4 zose n’uko maze kubagwa nkabagwa ariko,namara kubagwa nkongera ngasubira muri foyer nabagamo. N’uko, n’uko ubwo ngubwo ndagira… barambwira noneho, nari mazeyo amezi 6 ; abakozi ba centinelle baraza barambwira bati : « urabona umaze kubagwa inshuro nyinshi muganga yavuze ko atazongera ku kubaga kubera anestesie (ikinya) ya… bamaze kuyigutera inshuro nyinshi ntabwo ari byiza ugomba gusubira…. » Centinelle barambwira bati : «ugomba gusubira mu Rwanda ugasura mama wawe » bati : «ni nko kujya muri Vacance hanyuma amezi 6 yashira ukagaruka kubera ko bavuga ko bazongera kukubaga izindi nshuro 3 bakongera bagakora ibisigaye.» Ubwo ngubwo mbanza no kwanga rwose mvuga nti nzategereza bikorerwe rimwe kuko numvaga kugaruka ino no kuzongera gusubirayo bitazoroha. Ariko ubwo babibwiye centinelle, centinelle barababwira bati : « mubimwumvishe rwose twe ntitubuze Ticket izamugarura dufite amafaranga yigira ikibazo cya Ticket rwose Ticket si ikibazo.
Mupenzi : Ubwo abanyarwanda baraza barambwira bati : « koko wisuzugura abantu bakugiriye neza urabona ibintu bagukoreye wibasuzugura n’ubasuzugura izindi opération ntabwo bazazikora kandi abazungu ntabwo bakunda abantu babasuzugura nyine.Ubwo nyine niwanga gutaha nabo barareka kugufasha,usange byose birapfuye wiyicire amahirwe. » N’uko rero ubwo mba ndagarutse,ngaruka mu Rwanda ngera mu rugo ngeze mu rugo,ubwo ngubwo hashize nk’amazi nka… nari kujyenda nyine nyuma y’amezi 6,hashize amezi 3 ntangira kurwara cyanee noneho ndaribwa cyane cyane noneho rwara n’Ibibyimba ku ijosi kumwe kikaza,bugatya haje ikindi haza ibibyimba bigera kuri bine. Ubwo nari mfite umu oncle w’umudocteur akajya anjyana bakamvura,babaga ibyo bibyimba, noneho arabandikira.Yandikira centinelle(emezi atandatu yaramaze no kurangira) arababwira ati : « ababwira ko ari oncle wanjye ababwira ko ari umu docteur ati none rero afite ikibazo rwose ati abatekerereza uburwayi mfite .»
Mupenzi : Ubwo nko mu kwezi nyine nabo bari bamusubije.Baramusubiza baramubwira ngo : « batangazwa n’ukuntu utigeze unyitaho mbere y’igihe ngo none ubu ngo niho wibutse kuvuga, ngo ibyo twakoze twarabikoze ngo ibindi i Gihugu ngo cy’iwanyu ngo kizabikore ngo kandi ngo rwose ngo twakoze akazi kenshi ibisigaye nibyo bike. » N’uko nyine centinelle ihita ihakana ko itazongera kumfasha ubwo nyine bako… uwo mu Docteur akomeza ku… marume nyine akomeza avura ibyo bibyimba ngize amahirwe mbona birakize, ariko nyine nkomeza kuribwa cyane. N’uko nza… ariko ubwo nyine nageze mu rugo mvuye muri Suisse nyine nsanga abo nari nasize mu ba frère bo barabishe bose,bo bari barabishe Mama yari muri C.H.K na murumuna wanjye nibo babashije kurokoka n’uwo mukuru wanjye twari kumwe abandi bo bari barabishe.
Dock windowTable Of Contents
Genocide Experience
Rescue From Corpses
Health care
Living Conditions At The Hospital
Life At Kabgayi Hospital
Help From Croix-Rouge
Post-Genocide Experience
Life At King Fayçal Hospital
Health Services In Europe
Return In My Country
Dock windowView People
Habyarimana (former Rwanda president)
Dock windowView Places
Centre Hospitalier de Kigali (CHK)
King Fayçal
Giti cy’inyoni
Dock windowView Topics
Discrimination and Persecution
Beatings in Neighborhood
Flight To Josephite Secondary School
Military Assaults
In The Courtyard
In The Room
At The Hospital
At Kabgayi
Of My Father By Machetes
Bodily Injuries
At Lower Jaw
Rot In The Mouth
At The Arm
In The Chest
Rot In The Chest
Health And Health Services
First Aid From Jesuits Brothers
Red Cross Evacuation
Centre Hospitalier De Kigali
Medical Care At Kabgayi
Taking Food Through A Syringe
Red Cross Relocation At Nyanza
Health Care From My Elder Sister
Insufficient Treatment
Red Cross Relocated At Rilima Orphanage
Medical Care At King Fayçal Hospital
Medical Care In Switzerland
Hopeless Diagnosis
Second Surgery
Convalescent Period In France
Excessive Medication
Back To Hospital In Switzerland
Third Surgery
Foster Home In Switzerland
Back Home In Rwanda
At Gitega
Hostile Soldiers
To Gitarama
To Kabgayi
Seeing Again My Elder Sister
Liberation and Post-Liberation Life
Treatment At King Fayçal Hospital
People From Switzerland To Help Me
Proposal To Treat Me Abroad
Trip To Switzerland
Dock windowView Map
Loading Google Maps...